Andy Murray has decided not to play in the doubles at the US Open later this month in order to focus on his singles comeback
The former world number one, alongside Feliciano Lopez, is currently in the midst of what will likely be his final doubles campaign for the foreseeable future at the Cincinnati Masters, where he will face brother Jamie and his partner Neal Skupski in the quarter-finals on Friday.
The three-time Grand Slam champion made his return to singles competition at the same event, falling at the first hurdle on Monday when beaten in straight sets by Richard Gasquet.
Murray will be back in one-on-one action at next week’s Winston-Salem Open after accepting a wildcard and had then been expected to head to Flushing Meadows to play men’s and mixed doubles at the final Grand Slam event of the year.
However, Murray says he will play no part in the US Open after opting against entering the doubles, the Brit having previously turned down a wildcard for the singles tournament as well.
I’m not going to play doubles at the US Open,
Murray told BBC Sport.
My goal is to get back playing at the level that I want to on the singles court, and I’ve decided that I need to focus all my energies on that right now.
The US Open, doubles and mixed, can be another couple of weeks that you are slowing things down.”
Murray has indicated that he could play singles at a Challenger Tour event while the US Open is going on at the end of August.